Land of Bridges


The wooden Kintai Bridge (Kintai-kyo) spanning the Nishiki river, Iwakuni, Japan 1/5" />
The wooden Kintai Bridge (Kintai-kyo) spanning the Nishiki river, Iwakuni, Japan 1/5

I am slowly coming to the end of editing Japan. I've managed to edit some 1,500 pictures with another 1,000 to go. A lot of the best pictures were taken in low light and so won't make it onto Alamy, particularly there are loads of the sumo and baseball which I took for myself knowing that ISO 1600 was not going to work for stock but we shall see.

This little selection reflects the Japanese tradition of bridge building both in miniature (in the garden below) and on a massive scale at Iwakuni (above). The bridge at Iwakuni is built from wood with no nails of screws. Over the centuries it has been swept away by floods and re-built to the same design and is well worth a visit. Iwakuni was the furthest west that we managed to travel in our two weeks in Japan, most of the next batch of pictures are from Miyajima and then Tokyo and Kamakura. The final 1,000 are from Kyoto including a grey skied Golden Temple which might not be good enough for Alamy.

Once I've finished with Japan I might feel like picking up the camera again. At the moment I have no inclination to bring it with me everywhere I go (like I did in the summer) as the weather is rubbish and it is dark when I commute to and from work. I can see some more table top images over the winter if I find the motivation to do it. In the meantime I am close to the 450 mark on Alamy which whilst a milestone has not resulted in any more sales...boo. Let's hope my premium pseudonym works for me.

Himeji-jo (Himeji Castle), Himeji, Japan, showing bridge and moat 2/2
Himeji-jo (Himeji Castle), Himeji, Japan, showing bridge and moat 2/2
>Bridge over the main pond at Shukkeien japanese circular stroll garden, Hiroshima, Japan
Bridge over the main pond at Shukkeien japanese circular stroll garden, Hiroshima, Japan


Discount license
If you want to license the images directly at a discount, contact the photographer at sales@smyrnoff.com otherwise use the links above to license through Alamy.

No comments: