This week, I've been mainly adding, cut-outs!

My post about Alamy's soft or lacking definition, which went down so well with you all, reflects the reason for my lack of posts, they kept saying no to my photos until I was running with a backlog of nearly 40 pictures, grrrrr! Finally, yesterday, they relented and my more careful editing (see, I'm not in denial!) has seen me through. If they had said no again I would have been ready to join the ranks of the "6MP isn't good enough for Alamy" brigade, but then again, they may not have looked at my pictures so this still may be true...

Chinese dragon cut-out 6/6
Chinese dragon cut-out 6/6 [catchy caption, eh?!]

So...cut-outs. I been working with the archetypal silo rig, large translucent box, infinity white background, SB800 on a stand (free-standing Manfrotto monopod, no less, turning out to be very versatile) triggered on SU-4 slave mode by the on-board Speedlight. Plenty of information on this kind of rig out there, for which I am very grateful. So on to the subjects. I am about to start on some Christmas themes but for now I've found a friend in a chinese dragon, which was procured on a trip to Hong Kong, and some salad servers...this next one of the dragon is my favourite and could well be used for "looking to the future of the Far Eastern economies"

Chinese dragon cut-out 1/6
Chinese dragon cut-out 1/6 [no less catchy than the last!]

Cut-outs (or silos) aren't the most exciting things to photograph but they are a staple of the stock photographer's portfolio so I will be adding a smattering of them over time. It is a good environment to go a bit abstract, especially with the help of a macro lens, but I'll keep that for the next post


Blue plastic hand salad servers 3/5
Blue plastic hand salad servers 3/5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photos and interesting blog - greetings from polish Smyrnoff

AndySmee said...

Thank you, it seems that I have stolen your name! But it is a fun spin on my surname, Smy, and nicely memorable!

Anonymous said...

no you havent - its only my nickname and is conected with a long story (connected with drinking smirnoff) and my surname (Smyra)

AndySmee said...

Excellent, great minds think alike...as yet I have not spoilt my enjoyment of vodka through excess...unlike a handful of other drinks!