Before you've left the airport


Ferrari supercar on display on the Best of the Best stand at Heathrow Terminal 1, London, UK 2/2
Ferrari supercar on display on the Best of the Best stand at Heathrow Terminal 1, London, UK 2/2

It's taking me a long time to face more editing of Japan. I think that this is the problem with digital photography. It used to be that you paid someone else to process your pictures, but now you are expected to do it - and know how to do it - yourself.

It may also be that I overdosed on photography while we were in Japan. I have certainly never taken so many pictures, nor used such a variety of options on a camera before. The resulting mountain of pictures is barely manageable and although I have become familiar with Capture NX I still don't like the fact that you cannot simply browse the pictures quickly to edit them down. So far I have had to take the approach of setting up a batch in NX to convert everything to JPG and then use Windows Image Viewer to edit the pictures down to something reasonable, then go back to the raw image and process it. I used to use the Adobe Raw plugin in CS2 which allowed you to view a batch and mark them for deletion but it doesn't support the D300 and I am not inclined to shell out for CS3. It is a real pain that NX is so poor at the first stage of the workflow - the review.

The mountain of images is due to the fact that this holiday's photography started much earlier than normal, right in the airport terminal. That's what happens when your brain realises that every shop front, every cafe, every "scene" of everyday life is a potential money making opportunity, you go a bit nuts. So here are my airport pictures on Alamy (actually they are dull, but if you need a picture of the "Best of the Best" stand, well here you go...)

W.H.Smith Books store in Heathrow Terminal 1, London, UK
W.H.Smith Books store in Heathrow Terminal 1, London, UK

American Express Foreign Exchange counter at Heathrow Terminal 1, London, UK
American Express Foreign Exchange counter at Heathrow Terminal 1, London, UK


P.S. I still haven't keyworded the Reading Festival pictures...I might never get to them, I don't like keywording, as if processing wasn't bad enough.

No comments: